Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sacrifice

My husband comes home either tonight or tomorrow after a long stint of working in Kansas City for about two months now. They are caught up on the job they are working on and he is able to come home for about a week. This makes me so happy as living apart and being a "single" mom to his two teenage girls can wear on you after awhile.

Brian took this job mainly for financial reasons. One, I'm unemployed and my unemployment checks ran out two weeks ago. I've applied to over 100 different jobs....it SUCKS out there right now. I can't even get a job at Wally world. Two, he can work weekends and get plenty of overtime which means more $$$ in the checking account. BUT, (and there's a BIG but in there) he's become very ill lately, for almost a month and has missed several days of work so ding ! there goes that extra $$$ we were planning on. I'm very concerned for him. He's lost alot of weight (down to 150 pounds) and is at the point of dehydration because he can't keep anything in him. He's been to the doctor three different times. We find out what is in his blood samples today and his stool samples (yuck) Thursday. I just hope it's nothing life threatening. I just don't know what I'd do without my big B.

So these are tough times for many people right now. I am grateful for what we do have and the investments we made when we did have money: house, cars, appliances, etc. We eat hamburger meals alot, but the girls don't seem to mind. I was able to buy them one top, one bottom and a pair of shoes for school this year and they were happy with that. Brylea turns 16 on Thursday and we are going to get her license then. I rearranged our auto insurance and homeowners insurance to get better deals and it will only cost us an extra $40 a month to add her to our policy (which I thought wasn't too bad). That way she can drive herself to a job (which she applied to several on Sunday) and help out paying for her own gas money.

I shop at the DAV and Goodwill for clothes for me since I've lost 55 pounds. Got 3 pairs of shorts for $5 the other day.....I am the bargain hunter. Having a garage sale the weekend after Labor day so I can earn some $$ to possibly get a couple pair of jeans. I don't want to buy too much 'cuz I'm still losing weight....yippee!!! I want to drop about 15 more lbs. Went from a size 22 now to a 14.

Sacrifices, we all make them, rearrange them, prioritize them, turn them inside out and upside down. It's a part of your reality that can't be ignored. I think I've become a more responsible being because of them.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post Mags! Its times like theses that make the good times sweeter! Hang in there friend!

    ReplyDelete